Depressive Disorder Treatment in Manhattan
Are you struggling with overwhelming sadness, fatigue and hopelessness? You may be suffering from depression or other depression-related disorders. Compass Medical Services of Manhattan provides caring, personal treatment to help you manage your depression and maintain a happier, more fulfilling life.
What is Depression?
Depressive disorders are mental illnesses that involve the body, mood, and thoughts. Depression is a common but serious illness that causes you to experience intense and prolonged feelings of sadness, hopelessness and despair. Untreated, depression can last for weeks, months or even years. If you are struggling with a depressive disorder it is important to seek psychiatric services from a mental health doctor.
Am I Depressed?
According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, one is said to be depressed if they experience at least five of the following symptoms at once:
- Feelings of depression throughout the day, especially in the morning
- Daily fatigue
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Impaired concentration
- Inability to sleep (insomnia) or excessive sleeping (hypersomnia)
- Lessening of pleasure or interest in daily activities
- Recurring thoughts about suicide and death
- Significant weight loss or weight gain
If these symptoms occur daily and for at least two weeks, you’re likely to be suffering from clinical depression. However, it’s not considered to be clinical depression if the symptoms are the result of a medical condition, are a side effect of a drug or medication, don’t cause distress or impairment or are occurring within a few months of the loss of a loved one.
Other Depression-Related Disorders
If you are experiencing the above symptoms it may not just be depression. Depression disorders include:
- Clinical depression (major depression). Intense, prolonged bouts of sadness as described above.
- Psychotic depression. This occurs when severe depression is couple with a form of psychosis such as a break with reality, hallucinations or delusions.
- Postpartum depression. Postpartum depression causes a new mother to experience a major depressive episode within one month after giving birth. It is estimated that 10 to 15 percent of women will experience this type of depression after delivery.
- Bipolar disorder. This is often called manic depression and causes you to experience extreme highs (mania) or severe lows (depression) simultaneously. You will experience dramatic shifts in mood and energy levels at any given time.
Get Treatment for Depression and Other Depression-Related Disorders
All depression disorders are treatable. Compass Medical Services of Manhattan provides you with top level psychiatric services and individual psychotherapy with caring, multispecialty mental health professionals for your depression needs. We offer proven treatments for depression and depressive disorders like individual or group therapy, medications and other innovative treatments for treatment-resistant depression (such as TMS). If you feel like you are struggling with a depressive disorder, contact us today to schedule a consultation with a member of our staff.