Treatment for Anxiety Disorders in Our New York Office
If you are struggling with an anxiety disorder you may be feeling increased anxiousness or worry. At Compass Medical Services of Manhattan we offer personal, proven treatments to help you maintain and overcome your anxiety disorder.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is persistent, excessive and often unrealistic worry or fear about commonplace things. Anxiety disorders are generally categorized by this exaggerated amount of distress. Psychiatry studies have shown that anxiety disorders affect around 40 million American adults in a year. Anxiety disorders are long term, and can get worse if not treated.
Commonly Diagnosed Anxiety Disorders:
- Panic disorder. This will cause you to experience sudden, repetitive and overwhelming feelings of terror without warning. Panic disorder causes panic attacks that include symptoms like sweating, chest pain, a feeling of choking, feeling as if you are having a heart attack or feeling as if you are “going crazy”.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This disorder can occur after dealing with an intense emotional or physical trauma. With PTSD you will be plagued with uncontrollable reemergence of memories and thoughts of the trauma. PTSD can leaving you feeling detached, numb, or aggressive.
- Social phobia. Also called social anxiety disorder, this is an overwhelming worry about social interactions. Intense self-consciousness and distress about everyday social situations will occur. This anxiety disorder causes an extreme fear of being judged by others or of behaving in a way that may lead to humiliation.
- Specific phobias. An intense and debilitating fear of a specific object or situation. This fear is usually so intense that it will cause you to avoid certain commonplace, everyday situations.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). This is excessive, unrealistic worry and distress as described above.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Obsessive compulsive disorder will cause you to have constant thoughts or fears that require daily, obsessive routines and rituals. The thoughts are known as obsessions and the rituals are compulsions. These rituals are uncontrollable and will severely disrupt your everyday life.
Finding Treatment for your Anxiety Disorder
Like most mental disorders, anxiety disorders are treated with medications and/or psychotherapy. At Compass Medical Services of Manhattan we offer a personal treatment plan for your anxiety disorder(s). Our psychiatric services and individual psychotherapy will provide you with optimized mental health treatment and care in Midtown Manhattan. Don’t let your obsessive compulsive disorder control your life. Seek help with accomplished, caring psychiatric professionals and contact us today.